Cancer is one of the fatal diseases worldwide, it has caused many death cases in the last few years, but the positive side is that scientists are constantly working on cancer growth blockers and searching for ways to control genetic changes. Also, many natural ways work well with cancer in reducing cancer, like garlic, considered one of the best foods that fight this fatal disease. It reduces the risk of cancer; before digging deep into that, let’s first know more about cancer growth blockers.
What are cancer growth blockers?
Cancer growth blockers are drugs that specialize in blocking cancer growth factors that trigger cancer cells to divide and split.
There are many different forms of blockers, like:
- Lowering growth factor levels in the body.
- Blocking the receptor of growth factor on the cancerous cell.
- Controlling and blocking the signals inside the cell happens when the growth factor triggers the receptor.
Most of the mentioned treatments work by blocking the signaling processes that cancer cells use to divide; these treatments usually depend on stopping the signals the cancerous cells use to divide.
Scientists are always looking for how to block these growth factors because, by doing that, they will succeed in stopping the dividing and growth of cancerous cells. They also develop many inhibitors for different types of cancer growth factors.
And this is what stops cancer from growing, but some other natural foods help reduce the risk of cancer. The one that we will spotlight in our topic is garlic.
Why does garlic reduce the risk of having cancer?
Garlic is not just for flavoring food; researchers and scientists found that it has antibacterial and antioxidant properties; it also has specialized properties to reduce certain cancers like prostate cancer, breast cancer, and gastrointestinal cancer.
So, let’s dig deep and learn more about garlic’s benefits and properties in fighting cancer.
General benefits of garlic:
- Lowering high blood pressure.
- Lowering bad cholesterol levels (LDL).
- Natural antibiotic action prevents the growth of bacteria.
- Antioxidant action to help fight free radical damage.
- Anti-inflammatory properties.
The last 3 properties may help in preventing cancer. Also, garlic contains high levels of sulfur, flavonoids, and selenium. And when we crash this garlic, it produces the compound allicin, which has a good effect on cells called signaling cells that control cell growth.
The three cancer-fighting compounds in garlic are:
- Allicin: It is an antibiotic and plays a good role in inhibiting the growth of fungi (antifungal)
- Flavonoids: These compounds have antioxidants and anti-inflammatory properties that reduce or prevent inflammations and help prevent cell damage in cancer.
- Selenium and allyl sulfides: These substances keep and prevent cell DNA from damaging; DNA damage is considered the root cause of cancer.
These are types of cancer that garlic reduces their development risk:
- Stomach cancer
- Colon cancer
- Pancreatic cancer
- Esophageal cancer
- Breast cancer
- Prostate cancer
What did scientists find in garlic substances?
The normal cell has a proper process that goes through it and ends with the cell’s death as a part of its life cycle. And that’s not what happens in the cancer cell, which starts to grow and develop uncontrollably.
The abnormal DNA in the cancer cell is responsible for that; it prevents the normal death of cells by giving it orders to grow and divide unusually.
Scientists found garlic substances may help improve cancer cells’ process by repairing DNA. A study conducted in 2019 showed that garlic has a good role in preventing cancer cell growth. Check this study from here
Now many research projects are looking at the potential impact of garlic on treating cancer. A study in 2019 explained that garlic might affect signaling pathways in cancer development. The study showed some ways of that, like:
- Garlic may cause cell cycle arrest, which means stopping the cell from continuing to divide.
- Garlic may reduce the growth of blood vessels that extend cancer cells with nutrients to survive.
- Cancer cells can avoid the natural cycle of cell death; garlic plays a role in increasing the rate of cancer cell death.
As you see, there are many natural ways to protect yourself from cancer; these ways also help reduce its harmful impact on your health. If you search for an online consultancy, you are in the right place; we provide a list of the best online doctors in the UK; select from our packages and book your appointment.