People having cancer need to maintain a healthy weight and food. Sometimes the cancer treatment side effects can lead to weight loss, making you weak and malnourished. On the other hand, some cancer treatments can lead to weight gain. So, in this topic, we will answer some questions about proper food for cancer patients you must know to avoid worsening your condition.
Food safety during treatment
It is essential to handle food safely during your treatment journey. Cancer and its treatment can weaken your immunity and make you more susceptible to infections, including food conditions.
The following tips help keep your food safe:
- Wash your hands before eating.
- Keep food contact surfaces clean.
- Keep hot foods hot (above 140 degrees Fahrenheit) and cold foods cold (below 40 degrees Fahrenheit).
- Avoid contaminating raw meat and vegetables. Store it on the bottom shelf to avoid contaminating juices from other foods.
- Wash fruits and vegetables well before eating.
What is the diet that a cancer patient should follow?
You may have days when you feel hungry, others when food is the last thing you want, and on good days eat plenty of protein and healthy calories; this will keep your body strong and help repair the damage from your treatment.
Include protein-rich foods, Such as lean meat, chicken, fish, eggs, beans, nuts, and seeds.
Cheese, milk, and yogurt:
Eat dark green and yellow vegetables and citrus fruits like oranges and grapefruits. Colorful foods contain many healthy nutrients, and you must wash them well.
Drink plenty of fluids daily; water is a great option. You can also try fresh juice; It will give you extra vitamins and the fluids your body needs to stay hydrated.
It’s also essential that you don’t eat raw or undercooked meat, fish, and poultry, and don’t eat or drink unpasteurized foods or drinks.
Eat when you feel hungry; If it’s in the morning, set breakfast as your biggest meal; and if meals are complicated, eat five or six small meals instead of two or three large meals during the day.
Have small healthy snacks on hand, too. Yogurt, cereal, cheese, crackers, and soups are good options. Eating a snack or small meal right before your session may keep you from feeling sick if you’re on chemotherapy.
How regular exercise can help you before, during, and after cancer treatment
- Help your body and mind work better.
- Reduce the feeling of tiredness.
- It helps reduce depression, anxiety, and stress.
- It may help you sleep better.
- Maintain or improve your physical ability to get things done.
- Improve muscle strength, bone health, and range of motion
- Strengthening the immune system.
- Increase your appetite.
- It helps you reach and maintain a healthy weight.
- It May help treat lymphedema associated with breast cancer (and does not increase your risk of developing it)
- Reducing the chance of some types of cancer coming back.
- Improve your quality of life.
- Reduce the side effects of treatment.
Frequently Asked Questions about suitable food for cancer
These are the 6 famous questions about forbidden and permitted food for cancer patients and their answers.
What foods can make cancer worse?
- Processed meat.
- Red meat.
- salted fish (Chinese style)
- Sugary drinks or non-diet soda
- Fast food or processed foods
What are cancer-fighting foods?
Fruits, vegetables, tomatoes, garlic, citrus fruits, and whole grains.
Does sugar cause the spread of cancer?
Sugar is not a carcinogen (cancer-causing substance). However, excessive consumption of sugar and significantly added sugars in drinks and processed foods can contribute to obesity, a high-risk factor for cancer. There is no evidence that sugar consumption makes cancer cells grow faster or causes cancer.
Is red meat linked to cancer?
Red meat may cause an increase in colorectal cancer. Evidence also suggests that it is linked to other types of cancer, such as prostate and pancreatic cancer—examples of red meat like beef, pork, and lamb.
What are the beneficial drinks for cancer patients?
- Artificial fat-free broth.
- Apple/Cranberry juice (without sugar).
- Fruit sundae.
- Fruit sundae without milk.
How do I rebuild the immune system after cancer?
- Eat healthily.
- Get plenty of exercise every day, five times a week.
- Get plenty of good quality sleep.
- Refrain from cigarettes.
- Avoid alcohol.
- Reduce stress.
In DoctorFly, we always seek ways and solutions to make your health good and make your case stable; we also set the best treatment plan for your cancer type and stage. We have many online medical consultation services from the UK; pick the suitable one for you.